Tuesday 15 May 2012

Friday May 11th - Main Loch@Magiscroft


I'd had a hectic work and social week, so I decided to get some relaxation by fishing my first Friday evening match of the year.

With the draw taking place at 15:15, there was no way I was going to make it, even finishing work at 15:00, but I let them know I'd be late, and asked that someone draw for me.


I arrived at Magiscroft around 15:40 and was on the bank of the Main loch 5 mins later, having been told that P6 had been drawn for me.

It was still spitting with rain, but compared to earlier in the day, it was a big improvement!

As I was short of time, I only setup 2 top kits - one for fishing at around 12m out, in 13 feet of water and a second for closer in at about 9 feet deep. On both I was using a Nick Gilbert 0.5g 'gimp' style float with most of the shot around 18 inches from the size 16 hook, to get the bait down as quickly as possible.

Bait was my usual flavoured 6mm soft pellets with a sprinkling of sweetcorn for colour. 

On my first put I missed a very quick bite and on the second landed my first main loch tench of the year - only 8oz or so but a very dark green fish, in beautiful condition. 

The next 90 mins were a bit crazy with 2 bream (around 2lbs each) mixed in among 10 carp of 2-4lbs which all fought like they were possessed - normally I never stand up, but even with 6 sections of pole, they were pulling so hard I had to get on my feet to land them.



Eventually I moved from white to grey hydro, which helped a lot!

As the weather changed (yes the sun came out and the wind died!) the bites stopped, but I could see that before the bait got to the bottom, something was going on - so I moved the float down around a foot and started catching again - but as cloud covered the sun, it was back on the deck to catch.

Although not a s busy as the first hour and a half, I continued to catch decent sized fish and was pretty tired  when the all out came at 21:15. And with good reason - a new match personal best at 54lbs - 14oz, and another win on the main loch - thats 3 wins from 4 matches on the main loch this year, but the important is when I fish my second Barras match  - let's hope the run continues…….

No comments:

Post a Comment