Thursday 24 May 2012

Monday Evening - May 21st - Main Loch@Magiscroft


 I very nearly called off from this match, as I had a really difficult 5 hours on Sunday. But even a bad day's fishing is better than working, so I went along not expecting much - I did buy plenty of maggots to go after the smaller fish, and packed the same bait and rigs I had used yesterday.

Monday had been warm with a steady easterly breeze, so given the choice, anywhere from P19-24 would have been good, but for me it was P7 - at least I wouldn't have to walk too far :-)

My plan of attack was plain - try out around 13m for the first 30 minutes and then switch to targeting silver fish close in if nothing showed up on the long line.

With the warmer weather, I'd also decided to feed a mid sized pot's worth of micro pellets interlaced with 3-4 grains of sweetcorn and a similar amount of 6mm pellets on every one of the first 10 puts and then see what happened. 

It all looked very familiar with a 6oz carp on the first put and then a skimmer bream of a similar size on the next. I then struck into what looked to be a skimmer bite - but the resistance was solid, and the grey hydro started flying out of the top kit. A five minute tussle ended with a carp of between 3-5 lbs safely in the net. And within an hour there were another 6 of a similar size to join it.

This continued up until around 19:45  when I had 15 minutes without a touch - so I did what I'd planned and came into the short line, but there was nothing doing here today, so it was back to the 13m line where i managed another 3 similar sized carp before the all out at 21:30.

By my count I had 1 skimmer, 1 stockie and 13 decent sized carp - and the scales backed up my size estimates  - 50lbs - 5 oz in 3.5 hours. If only one of them had been hungry yesterday!

The new pole was great - I only missed one bite all match as any movement I impart at the butt is instantly reflected at the tip - a big improvement over my old pole.It's also a fair bit lighter and feels much stronger - I was able to put lots of pressure on the fish when I needed to, meaning, on this occasion, all the fish I hooked were landed.

Full results can be found here.

That's my second 50+ weight in a couple of weeks on the main Loch, but i'm still baffled by yesterdays poor showing - I guess that's fishing.........

No comments:

Post a Comment