Sunday 22 January 2012

B Division Match 6 - Woodside Pond - Jan 21st

I was really looking forward to this Saturday's 'B' Division match, which would see me fishing on the sheltered Woodside pond.

I even managed to draw a supposedly decent peg, No 17 and despite the wind gusting way beyond the forecast 35mph, it looked like we might get a decent days fishing.

The 'all in' was called at 10:45 and I decided to try the far shelf first, as at this point, the wind was just about manageable - but 15 mins, and not a touch. To my right on P14, Scott McAulley was already into a fish, which at least gave me confidence that they were feeding. So I changed to my standard windy rig for the bottom of the shelf and within 5 mins, the float flew away and a small carp of around 12oz is in the net.

Scott by this time has 4 and Heather, to my left (and Scott's mum) has also bagged a small carp. But from then on, nothing - apart from Scott who continued to catch regularly until the wind gets up and carries Scott Laird's 'brolly into the pond where it wedges itself right where Scott M has been catching - The wind also lifts my 'brolly from it's pole, but I manage to catch it and forget about using it from there on in.

Having tried various pellets, I switch to maggot to see if I can tempt any silver fish (roach, chubb etc) but I only get one slight indication in an hour - but then I get lucky! The wind by this time is hitting over 50mph and the driving rain is making things pretty unpleasant and as it once again drags my pole, and the rig 10m to the left, a greedy chubb of 4oz or so grabs my bait as it flies across the surface.


The 'all out' is called early as it's pretty much un-fishable with the wind getting stronger by the minute. There's a fishing cliche that a bad days fishing is better than a good day at work - well not today! - it was no fun at all and if I'd not been fishing a team competition, I think I'd have packed up after 2 hours!

Young Scott has won our section and the whole match with 10lbs - 12oz - despite being in the cafe for over an hour with Scott Laird second in the section with 3lbs and me 3rd with 1lb flat from my 2 fish.

But no matter, I'm sure it'll be fine tomorrow when I'm fishing the Sunday open on the Island Pond…………..:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment