Monday 23 January 2012

Sunday Sweep - Magiscroft's Island Pond - Jan 22nd

After yesterday's 'Perfect Storm', I managed to get all my kit and clothing dried out, and with the weather forecast looking reasonable, I arrived at Magiscroft around 9AM, to find the dreaded wind was still blowing pretty hard, though nowhere near yesterdays levels.

The match was to be pegged from 8 round to 23 on the deeper end of the Island Pond, and I drew the one peg I didn't want, P8.

Although the wind was bothersome, you could still just about present at around 14.5M on the far shelf so I set up rigs for there, the bottom of the shelf and a mid water rig for silver fish.

The 'all in' is called at 10:45 and I head for the far shelf, but after 15 mins with no touches, I switch to the bottom of the shelf where another 15 mins go by with nothing happening - and to my right Chris Hughes and Derek Brady aren't fairing any better. So I decide to give it 1 more minute and just as well I did as a carp of around a pound takes my pellet with no warning and at least prevents me blanking.

For the next hour, I persevere with various flavours of pellet at the bottom of the shelf with the occasional change to the far shelf rig, but not even a line bite! So, I decide that as I can only see one angler (Dougie Craig on P5) catching anything, I'll switch to targeting silverfish with maggot as bait. I know there are chubb that frequent this peg, so I hope to find one or two whilst targeting the small roach.

The roach are there and willing to feed and I ended up with 32 of them, but they were a max of 2oz and most were much smaller - but I did manage to snare one of the chubb which, by the time of the 'all out' has helped me weigh in 3lbs - 3oz.

Dougie has walked the match with 11lb+ of common/mirror carp and up until the last 5 mins, I was second, but Robert Dalziel (snr) managed to land a 3lb 6oz F1 5 mins from the end of the match (his only bite all day), so I end up 3rd.

Full results can be found here.

Compared to yesterday, the conditions were a walk in the park - it was just a pity that the fish were elsewhere for everybody - To my left in the shallow water, there were loads of fish moving, so I suspect they were there as the prevailing westerly wind blows towards that end.

After fishing in yesterday's atrocious conditions, today was quite relaxing and I even had time to feed one of the many Robins that frequent the banks of the Island Pond - they know us anglers have free food :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment