Friday 6 January 2012

June 2011

Each year, I head off to the the USA/Canada border to the town of Massena where I stay with my friend Nick on the banks of the mighty St Lawrence river.

For some reason, carp are not fished for by most American anglers, who prefer to catch large/small mouthed bass, Walleye (we know them as Zander) and Musky, which is related the the Pike but grows a fair bit bigger. Which is great for us, as the only other carp anglers on the river tend to be Europeans on holiday, and most of the time, you can fish all week without seeing any one else who is carp fishing.

I have never yet caught a carp from the St Lawrence that has been caught before - they are totally wild with 99% of them being fully scaled commons - and they fight really hard!

But like any other fishing venue, the results can be variable - I've done 25 days on the river with 3 blanks, but I've also had a at least 5 days of over 250lb with a PB of 36lb - 4oz and the smallest being just over 8lb - 4 20lb+ fish in a day is not un-common.

So I only managed to fish one match in June.

June 27th - 7th of 12 with 17lb - 1oz on the Island Pond

This was the first match where I could see that fishing with a rod was a disadvantage - I could see the bull rushes on the far bank moving as fish fed amongst them but even with a perfect cast, the float was 2 feet from the far bank - the pole fishermen could get within inches and that's where the fish were.




No comments:

Post a Comment