Friday 24 February 2012

Ton Up? - Island Pond Thursday Feb 23rd 2012

Yesterday, I missed another Wednesday match so after having blanked on Peg 26 in last weeks match, I thought I'd give it another try today.

There was quite a variable wind from the south west, but it was between 10 and 11 degrees, so the frequent light showers weren't a big deal.


It was too windy to fish the far bank (16m) so I plumbed up a line around 13m at the bottom of the far shelf.


Within 5 minutes I had a small tench of around 8oz, and this rate of bites continued for the whole day! I was fishing my own flavoured pellet at dead depth under one of Davy Smith's 0.1g floats with a size 16 Drennan wide gape.


I had planned to fish 10:00 to 15:00, but ended up staying 'till 16:30


3 tench, 20 stockies, 5 big F1's of 4lb+, and another 38 carp of 1lb-3lb (F1's, Commons and Mirrors).

3 Tench 1lb
20 Stockie Carp 10lb
5 Big F1s 20lb
38 1-3 (say 2lb avg) 72lb

What an awesome day - easily my biggest ever haul. Keepnets are only allowed during a match, so all the weights are estimates, but I'd bet the numbers above are on the light side........

And I had a witness, Tommy L who was running the fishery on Thursday.

I'd be very surprised if the ton mark doesn't happen in a match on the Island sometime this year.

And from about 15:00 on there were fish topping all over the place - just like summer :-)


No doubt my next match will be a tough one.............

No comments:

Post a Comment