Wednesday 1 February 2012

'Workshy Wednesday' Match - Magiscroft's Top Pond


As this would be my last Match for 10 days or so, I was looking forward to a pleasant days fishing on the Top Pond at Magiscroft. It's been pretty cold this week, so it was no surprise to find all the waters at the fishery covered by between 10 and 20mm of ice. But after 30 mins or so of ice breaking, we decided that the match would go ahead. Although it was still sub zero degrees, we had a cloudless sky and almost no wind, and it was quite comfortable at the water's edge with the sun on our backs.

On Sunday pegs 6,7 and 8 produced the biggest weights, so I was hoping not to draw one of these, as the fish seem to move around and what is good on one day, very rarely produces in the next match. As luck would have it, I drew P6 but at least that meant that shipping my pole back would be easy as there is a gap in the rear bank at P6.


As folk started to clear the broken ice from their swims, it became apparent that there was an ever so slight breeze that was moving the broken ice down towards the deeper end of the pond, and whilst that helped me, Derek Brady gave up before the all-in as he couldn't keep the surface ice free for any length of time.

By the time the all-in was called at 11:30, I had managed to clear approx 80% of the ice in my swim meaning I could get to the far bank, where I caught on Sunday.

Today I was using one of my own homemade floats on 0.15 main line with a 0.08 hooklength to a size 18 barbless hook. I got my first indication after 10 mins or so and netted a nice mirror carp of around a pound. So I fed 6 micro pellets - and didn't get another bite for 50 minutes, when I caught possibly the smallest common carp in the pond! I decided to feed again, and it was quickly apparent that this was a mistake, as again, I saw no more action for 40 minutes.

Which resulted in another small common, but I didn't feed this time, and I was then able to put together a run of fish, whilst losing three that decided to go under the remaining ice:-(

Bait wise, I had std expander pellets, sweet corn and my favourite Oxo pellets - all of which I tried, but only the Oxo pellets got fish interested.

Around 15:15, as the sun went down a bit, the temp dropped sharply and that was it for me - I reckoned on somewhere between 8 & 10lbs, which from what I could see, would put me in contention.

So the all-out was called at 16:00 and I weighed in 10lbs - 8oz, which was enough to win the match from Alan Hird with 4lbs - 8oz and Rikki Miller with 3lbs - 8oz.

Full results can be found here.

Given the results this year, I'm pretty convinced that the big difference is the various additives that i've tried in conjunction with expander pellets. It seems that a 'salty type' flavour works best - pellets are fishmeal based - imagine the difference in taste between your favourite fish or steak, one with salt and one without - maybe not a great analogy, but you get the idea………


I know I've been fortunate with drawing decent pegs, but I've still managed to get the fish out. Looking back, since the 1st of January I have managed 4 wins and 2 thirds, with a couple of 4th as well.

After only 12 weeks with my pole, I have to be happy with that.




No comments:

Post a Comment