Thursday 22 March 2012

Magiscroft AC Vs Orchill AC - Second Leg - Sunday 18th@Orchill

After picking Scott Laird (one of the juniors) at Magsicroft, it was on to Orchill fishery for the return leg of our inter club match.


The grass was still white with frost where the sun hadn't yet reached and it was only 2 degrees at 09:00, so another tough day was expected.


The match was split into 3 distinct sections, and after last Wednesdays sweep, I could only say that as long as I didn't get 26-30 I'd be happy - so typically, I drew P28 which had really struggled last week when the weather was good :-(


Still, I decided to focus on competing with the guy I was paired against, Colin Skeel, and forget about drawing a poor peg. The first thing I noticed was that the 4 rigs that I had setup last week for P20 were all 2 feet over depth on P28 - the pond was much shallower here, although still deeper than the carp ponds at Magiscroft.


Whilst plumbing up on far shelf I could feel a few fish moving so when the all in was called at 11:00, I went straight to the other side and had a nice 8oz Chub almost immediately. And on the next put I got a small mirror carp, and then another. I continued to catch smallish fish for the next 2 hours, but nothing over 8oz. The bites then died up on the far shelf so I tried a line down the middle in the deeper water, for roach, but didn't get a bite. So after 30 minutes, I went back to the far side with a roach rig (size 22 hook with a single maggot) and promptly hooked my largest carp of the day at 2.5lbs. I did manage to get the roach feeding but they were 3 to the ounce, so I went back to targeting carp and the only place I could get bite was tight against the bullrushes on the far side. I picked up a few more small carp, but I was glad to hear the all out called at 16:00 - it had been a cold and breezy day with difficult fishing and not too much fun. I weighed in 9lb-10oz against Colin's 2lbs - 4oz, so at least I beat my opponent.


However, I'd have been happy to blank, as long as the team won, which we did - a resounding victory in both legs. Results can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment