Friday 30 March 2012

Monday 26th March - Top Pond @ Magiscroft

After having a disappointing match on Sunday, circumstances conspired to offer me that chance of fish with those known as "The Crazy gang" on the Top Pond@ Magiscroft on Monday night. This pond has flood lights installed to allow fishing in the dark…….


I arrived in glorious sunshine and a lovely 22 degrees to find there were 17 of us signed up to fish from 18:00 'till 21:00. Unlucky for some, I drew P13, which is at the deep end - same as yesterday then:-(


This match was bit different with only one hour from the draw to the all-in, but it was easily enough. The sun was still shining and I managed to catch a small F1 on my first put. But then nothing… And Derek Brady to my left and Colin Kerr to my right were still blanking at this point.

As with yesterday, I wanted to try fishing the margins for roach, but even they were scarce. Around 20:00 when the sun went down, the temp dropped rapidly to around 10 degrees, and poor Derek was suffering as he turned up in shorts. There was a good bit of good natured banter which he took in the way intended……Even when he managed (don't ask me how) to hook a branch 20 feet in the air.


I was glad of the all out when it came; the guys either side of me managed 9oz more than I did - I only had 2lb - another poor match :-( But the guys at the shallow end did much better as did Colin Hart who was t the right of Derek but had an empty peg to his right and caught a good few fish in the margins at the spare peg.


As the water gets warmer, I'm going to have to learn how to feed - in the winter, the answer is "not much" but I'm going to have to figure it out for the warmer months.


They really are a bit mad.......


No comments:

Post a Comment